LVN/RN or CDE Patient Educator
The Patient Educator is a member of the Administration-DSRIP department on the campus of ORMC. This position serves as a resource for Self-Management and Lifestyle education to ORMC’s Inpatient, Outpatient, and Community population. Patient Education and support is an interactive, collaborative, and ongoing process through which people with, or at risk for, chronic disease gain the knowledge and skills needed to modify behavior and successfully self-manage the disease and its related conditions. The process incorporates the individual’s needs, goals, and life experiences, and is guided by evidence-based standards. The overall objectives are to support informed decision-making, self-care behaviors, problem solving, active collaboration with the healthcare team, and improve clinical outcomes, health status, and quality of life. Our current focus is on Diabetes and Heart Disease management and prevention. Additional chronic disease may be added in the future as we expand to meet the needs of our community. This position requires an employee available to work a flexible schedule, including some evenings and, in the future, some Saturday’s. Schedules can vary from week to week.
* High School graduate or equivilant;
* Current licensure in Texas as: LVN, RN, CDE, or RD/LD
* CPR Certified
* Intermediate skill with Microsoft Office (emphasis in Excel) and computer usage
* Some travel required as we cover our 16 county Region
OSHA Category Classification:
I, , understand that the duties that are required of me in my job position places me in a category II. I have received education and training relative to this OSHA category classification and understand the requirements that will be expected of me in order to complete the above-mentioned duties.
* Experience providing health education (diabetes preferred) and affecting change through behavior modification. (preferred).
* Strong and effective communication; verbal and written (bi-lingual preferred: Spanish)
* Effective interaction skills teaching in 1:1 and group environments, using presentation tools
* Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, email, internet)
* Previous EMR usage (Cerner preferred)
* Ability to work as a team player; collaboration skills
* Demonstrate sensitivity to a diverse population; culturally, generational, etc.
For physical demands of position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion and environment, see following description. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising client care.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled