OB Sono Tech for Perinatal Clinic for SMG
A Maternal-Fetal Medicine (MFM) Sonographer is a diagnostic ultrasound professional who is qualified to perform independent sonographic assessments of maternal-fetal conditions. A person in this role must be qualified by academic and clinical experience, along with professional credentialing which should include the Fetal Echocardiography registry, OB/GYN registry, as well as the nuchal translucency/nasal bone certification. Their responsibility is to provide diagnostic patient care services for routine and high-risk obstetrical cases using ultrasound and related diagnostic procedures. A MFM sonographer must have advanced knowledge in various fetal conditions and anomalies as well as knowledge of contributing high-risk maternal factors. In addition, the scope of practice of the diagnostic MFM sonographer includes those procedures, acts, and processes permitted by law, for which the individual has received education and clinical experience. This person must demonstrate competency and must hold the appropriate ARDMS certification(s), which is the standard of practice in ultrasound.
Participates in providing patient specific care standards as directed and follows service excellence standards to ensure high levels of patient satisfaction.
Required Education and Experience
- Graduate of an educational program in Diagnostic Medical Sonography and minimum one-year obstetrics (OB) experience.
- A single two-year allied health education program that is patient-care related (Allied health occupations include, but are not limited to, diagnostic medical sonographer, radiologic technologist, respiratory therapist, occupational therapist, physical therapist and registered nurse.) OR Graduate of a program accredited by an agency recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), United States Department of Education (USDOE) or Canadian Medical Association (CMA), that specifically conducts programmatic accreditation for diagnostic medical sonography/diagnostic cardiac sonography/vascular technology. (Currently (as of 12/2013) the only organizations that offer programmatic accreditation under the aforementioned associations are the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) and the Canadian Medical Association (CMA));
Required and Preferred Licenses and Certificates
- Credentials with the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS).
- Current certification with the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) registered in OB or within one year of employment for new graduates.
- Current Registry in Fetal Echocardiography (FE) through the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS) or obtained within two years of employment.
- At least two (2) years previous of verifiable experience as an OB Sonographer preferred.
- Associate's Degree/College Diploma or higher in related technological field.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer, Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.